Monday, November 16, 2009

Joan of Arc


Tricia's class held a wax museum. Each student researched a person from history and wrote a paper about them. They also dressed up like the person and wrote a speech. The museum patrons walked among the statues and at certain intervals could push a button in front of the statue and it would give its speech.

Tricia picked Joan of Arc. (Thanks to Uncle Scott and All a dollar for costume help). Tricia put alot of time and thought into her presentation. She painted a brick castle wall as a backdrop and decorated her desk with a tablecloth and props. Her teacher commented to me that she had allowed the children to pretty much pick anyone. What had surprised her was the similarities she could see in her students and the person they chose. She felt like Tricia had some of the same characteristics as Joan--strength and courage.

It wouldn't have been in Joan's character to smile though. (For the record, I did try). War with France was serious business and people in the olden days didn't smile in pictures. Besides how expressive can wax be?

3 comments:

Dad Lewis said...

Please tell Tricia that her character of Joan of Arc was really interesting. I liked the costume, and I liked her teacher's comparison. And I agree, being wax character is serious business.

Emilie said...

Yes, being a wax character is very serious. I don't think people smiled at all back then when Joan of Arc was alive because ALL the early photographs you see the people are very solemn. If they didn't smile in 1850, I'm sure they didn't smile when Joan was alive and kicking. They didn't even have Ben and Jerry's ice cream yet.

kimberly said...

I'm missing your great blogs.