Saturday, February 20, 2010

Journaling Feb 20, 2010

After over a week of "flu"ey, congested, achey, eye infected days, suddenly some energy returned. It felt wonderful. Among the normal stuff I have scrapbooked for the first time in about 10 years and started and completed several sewing projects. I finished the forth Mountain man shirt for the year. I've made maybe 12 so far for some friends of ours in Orem, Scott and Pat Sorensen. His business during the school months is traveling around the region, visiting elementary schools and doing a mountain man presentation. He is a great story-teller he interweaves history, tall tales, and experiences he has had running a Canadian back woods resort in the summer. He dresses for the part complete with buckskin pants and a bearclaw necklace (he shot the bear himself). It was a great surprise to have him drop by several weeks ago in full costume, material in hand, needing sewing help again. It was fun too to reconnect with his wife Pat (my Orem walking buddy).

We are so excited about the big temple news this week: the extreme make-over of the Ogden temple and the surrounding grounds. Our girls will have to think of a new name for it--the "cupcake temple" is not going to suit.

Funny little story about Bruce. The programming project he is doing right now has some security issues associated with it so he is unable to talk about the specifics. I think he usually is so open about what is going on that he is trying to err on the side of saying too little rather than too much. My new visiting teacher started quizzing me about what he did for a living. Apparently there has been speculation among ward members that because he is so close-mouthed about what he does that he is in the secret service. We had a good laugh about it---it must have been the dark glasses he wore to church with his suit that tipped people off and what a relief for him that I now knew because it had been so hard to hide the side-arm hidden from me.

Activity day news. Last year we kept all the girls together and met at the church. It became fun chaos as we grew to 26 girls. There began to be an obviously huge gap between the new 8 year old girls that we couldn't keep away from the nursery toys and the more mature 11 year old girls. We split the groups up this year. Yesterday my cute 10-11 year old group met at our house and learned how to machine sew, making fabric bags to hold their Faith-in-God books. I hope they had as much fun as I did. I loved the smaller sized group and the personal interaction. Next time--hand sewing and sewing on buttons.

2 comments:

kimberly said...

Wow 26 girls would be so hard even if they were on the same level. I am glad it will be more manageable now. They are so lucky to have someone as loving and patient as you. Thanks again for picking us up yesterday. It was so fun to see you. Love the updates!

Alison said...

Whoops! You scrapbooked without me!
When this Blue and Gold is over I'm so there..