Monday, August 24, 2009

Sisterhood of the traveling skirt

It lay folded neatly on the bottom of a stack of clothes in my laundry room. It looked so familiar. It is stretchy and forgiving and matches a multitude of colors--reds, browns, blacks, whites, off-whites. Several months ago Amy picked out this skirt. It was too big, and a little short. Alison hadn't gotten around to fixing it so gave it to Camille. Krysta talked me into altering it and giving it back to Amy. So I did, I picked off the waist band and elastic, snipped and sewed and then hemmed--I even changed the thread on my sewing machine AND serger. Then back to Amy it went. One fine August day I picked up Megan for EFY from the Soderquist's. She looked so cute wearing this skirt. Then we drove around the corner and picked up Savannah. One look at Megan and she said,"Hey, I've worn that skirt".
Katrina said it was in a pile of her things and figured it was Staci's so took it to the laundry room. Personally I think it is one of those magical traveling wardrove pieces that fits and looks great on everyone and provides a nice experience for the wearer. I don't know about any of the experiences this skirt has provided but I can vouch for one thing, this skirt has traveled and it didn't care if it went to Idaho or Provo but it was trying to sneak off to BYU.

3 comments:

Valerie Chandler said...

Totally CUTE story, Ang.

...and your sewing skills are amazing. Mom would be sooooo proud that you changed all the thread.

kimberly said...

So fun to have sisters and cousins to share with! Your sewing skills are truly amazing!

Dad Lewis said...

Clever little write-up. Thanks for the history lesson.