Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Draper Temple
We went to the Draper Temple Open house this evening. It was such a nice experience. Because we had Tricia's scooter we had instructions to drive right up to the temple and park (rather than taking a shuttle from a nearby ward house). It made it such an easy experience to zip around and take the elevators. I was surprised at its size, it is really small compared to the temples I am used to. It was so beautiful. It is decorated with such beautiful artwork such as works by Simon Dewy and Minerva Tiechert (one of my favorite LDS artists). The sealing rooms had HUGE beautifully framed mirrors in them. There has got to be a story about how they even got them into the rooms and hung them. There is a repeated motif of a sego lily in the wordwork and ceiling that was lovely and a worker at the front door pointed out another repeated pattern of the log cabin quilt block used in all the stained glass windows. The hostess at the end had comment cards where we could write down our feelings. I think this is so key. It isn't an intellectual thing, you know it is good, you know it is right because of how it makes you feel. Recognizing spiritual feelings and having experiences with spiritual things helps you want to feel those feelings all the time. It also makes discerning and choosing the right easier. We were talking in the car on the way home and asked Camille how she felt when she was in the temple. She said she felt "still". I thought that was a great description.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I am so glad for your family's attendance at the open house and for your description, through which we could vicariously experience the Draper temple. I am especailly pleased that your children had this experience. I can imagine the joy and peace that Camille felt, and suppose that Tricia, Krysta, etc., had similar reactions.
That is so cool that your family could go enjoy something so great, and spiritual. I wish I could have gone, but I will have my time in the temple soon enough.
How great! We can't wait until our turn to go - in March! Can you believe? I wonder how many of the people who go through are not LDS? It is such a neat opportunity for us to take the kids to see the inside of the temple, and so fun to see one that Scott and I probably won't get to very often - hope there is time for investigators to go through. :)
Post a Comment